Saturday, April 11, 2009

Watchmen


I was a rabid comic book fan in the late 70s and early 80s. I contracted pneumonia when I was in the 4th or 5th grade and was bedridden for a couple of weeks. My mom started bringing me comic books to help me pass the time. I became addicted.

I was partial to Marvel superhero titles like the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, Iron Man, Spider Man, and the rest. After my recovery I began to spend every cent I had on comics. I subscribed to 8 or 10 titles and bought several more from the drug store or comic shop every month. I harbored fantasies of becoming a comic book artist and spent countless hours sketching my favorites into a stack of notebooks.

As I entered my early teens, two things happened that resulted in my waning interest in comics. The price went up, and titles I'd been paying 35 cents for were suddenly 75 cents or even a dollar. I also discovered a new passion: rock and roll. The end result was the comics being boxed up and largely forgotten as of 1982 or 83.

After having read Watchmen, I wish I would have hung in there a little longer. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' 12 part series was released over 1986 and 1987 and it is a genre-defying/genre-defining masterpiece.

I am very late to the party here, so I will eschew a long plot analysis. Suffice it to say that the series revolves around a group of masked adventurers who have been outlawed by the authorities. The murder of one of them (The Comedian) leads to a suspicion by another (Rorschach) that the 'masks' are being targeted by a party unknown. This sets into motion an amazing tale that encompasses 40 plus years of alternate U.S. and world history. Set against the backdrop of the Cold War and the escalating tensions between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., Watchmen dares to suggest what extreme measures may have been needed had things not gone as they did.

The graphic novel set the standard for the comics form and (along with other works by Moore and by Frank Miller) elevated it to an art that was worthy of discussion beyond the playground. The flaws of the heroes were a culmination of the character flaws that Stan Lee built into his classic Marvel characters of the 1960s, but took them to an entirely new level. Each of the main protagonists in Watchmen helps to flesh out contrasting worldviews, from the black and white certainties of Rorschach to the right wing jingoism of the Comedian to the Utopian liberalism of Ozymandias. None of this views are left unskewered by Moore in his tight story telling. And, in an already incredibly rich and detailed narrative, he and Gibbons add in a parallel tale from a fiction pirate comic to help underscore and illustrate the issues faced by many of the main characters. At the end of the majority of the issues there was also supplemental prose, often in the form of articles or letters, that helped to flesh out the back stories of many of the characters. Moore's ability to write about everything from ornithology to quantum physics is amazing.

The artwork is nuanced and incredibly sympathetic to the tale being told. How Gibbons was able to pack so much detail into 9 frames a page is beyond me. While I am partial to the more realistic styles of Frank Miller or Jim Starlin, I can't picture anyone doing a better job here than Gibbons.

I saw the film version of Watchmen first, and I'm not sure how that impacted my enjoyment of this novel. I can say that the film was perfectly cast for the most part, and I am now really excited for the release on DVD so I can watch it again.

No comments: